Friday, January 18, 2013

Grammar

I like to think I'm an intelligent person. To be honest, I have an IQ that lands me squarely in the "genius" category. I've been a math tutor for seven years.

I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of the English language.

I sometimes think of myself as a bit of a grammar snob. Not the kind that goes around correcting everyone and acting superior, just the kind that reads bad grammar and silently judges the person who wrote it. :) When people use the wrong your/you're or their/there/they're, it's mildly irritating. My biggest pet peeve is when people say "a whole nother." Yeah, "nother" is definitely not a word.

Nothing can humble this self-proclaimed grammar snob faster than the realization that I completely bombed a basic grammar quiz.

I'm sorry, what? I failed?


Oops.

Apparently, I have no place to judge anyone else's grammar, because mine needs some serious work.

In my Business Comm. class, the first test of the semester is a huge grammar exam. The second test is the same grammar exam. So many people do poorly on it, they give everyone a second chance to improve their score. When I first heard that, I though to myself, "I'll just read the information to refresh my brain, and then I'll get an A. No biggie."

Yeah, clearly that's not gonna work.

Now what? I need to humble myself and study like crazy. I have a goal to get an A on the first test, because if I do, I won't have to take the second one. I'm going to go over and over the quizzes and book, and work with the TA and my professor to make sure I understand.

Then, if I get my A, I can go back to being a grammar snob, all silent and judge-y. ;)

What? I enjoy my self-imposed, not-entirely-deserved superiority.

Don't judge me. :)

1 comment:

Share the love! :)